Published on February 25th, 2015 | by OBN Staff
Craft beer tops annual Canadian Chef SurveyTweet
Toronto, ON – Restaurants Canada today released results from its six annual Canadian Chef Survey. More than 400 chefs participated.
Top 10 hot trends
Chefs across the country identified the menu items and cooking methods at the peak of popularity. Here’s what’s brewing in restaurants:
- Craft beer/ microbrews
- Locally sourced foods (locavore)
- Leafy greens (e.g. kale, Swiss chard, mustard greens, collard greens, dandelion, beet greens)
- Food smoking
- Charcuterie/ house-cured meats
- Gluten-free/ food allergy conscious
- Sustainable seafood
- Inexpensive/ underused cuts of meat (e.g. beef cheek, brisket, pork shoulder, skirt steak)
- Ethnic sauces (e.g. sriracha, raita/raitha, chimichurri, soy sauce)
“This is craft beer’s time to shine,” says Donna Dooher, Interim President and CEO at Restaurants Canada. “Canadians are seeking out niche, local flavours, and it’s a trend that’s moved beyond the plate and into the glass.”
Gluten-free had the top spot in the 2014 survey.